The law firm, Symington De Kok, has been providing clients with effective legal and commercial solutions for the past 55 years. The firm was established on 2 July 1957 by its two founding members, Mr Jan Symington and Mr Marchand De Kok.
With two typists and a receptionist, the firm opened its doors in the SVM Building on the corner of St Andrew and Aliwal Streets in Bloemfontein.
Symington De Kok grew from strength to strength and over the years trained hundreds of candidate attorneys, many of whom came from previously disadvantaged communities.
From this training corps, not only were new partners appointed but also very competent correspondents over the whole of South Africa were put into practice with the result that Symington De Kok could provide legal services to its clients all over the country.
Today the firm is located in its own building situated at 169B Nelson Mandela Drive with an additional office in Bellvile. Symington De Kok relocated its offices in the city centre of Bloemfontein to its current premises in 1995. When the offices were relocated, it could never have been foreseen that within 11 years, the firm would require additional office space for its current personnel.
In order to house the growing firm, a new building was erected adjacent to the current building in Nelson Mandela Drive. The new building, known as the Ramsi Building, is built over the Bloemspruit and connected to the Symington De Kok building with a fly-over bridge. Covered verandas and a modern restaurant are also available on the new premises in order to cater for the needs of the personnel.
In order to give local clients and developers the opportunity to invest in the fast growing property development in the Western Cape, Southern Cape and Eastern Cape, the firm further opened offices in Bellville.
Although the original partners still form the backbone of the firm, we stay abreast of the challenges of the times to find fitting solutions for a transforming South Africa in the 21st century.
By integrating more than 50 years’ experience with progressive thinking, Symington De Kok provides customized solutions for our clients’ legal and commercial needs.
The Way We Do Business
Symington De Kok pride itself by doing business according to specific corporate values.
These values are:
- Integrity: Our professional ethos is based on mutual trust and confidentiality.
- Humanity: We nurture individual and corporate, small and large clients, adding a human touch to objective legal solutions.
- Competitive edge: By integrating 50 years’ experience with progressive thinking, we provide customised solutions to 21st century challenges.
- Expertise: The specific experience of our staff ensures tailor-made legal and commercial services.
- Social Responsibility: We are committed to empowering previously disadvantaged groups through supporting non-profitable organizations.
- Transformation: We believe that transformation is crucial for sustainable expansion and apply affirmative action through equal opportunities.
- Broad-based Black Economic Empowerment: Symington & De Kok is certified as a level 1 Contributor to Broad-based Black Economic Empowerment and is a Value Adding Service Provider.
Brave New World: Virtual Boardrooms In Cyberspace
One of the innovations brought in by our "new" Companies Act is that company meetings may now be hel......read more
Signed Surety On A Bond? Manage Your Risk!
"Buy land - they've stopped making it" (Mark Twain) Property can indeed be a great investment, ju......read more
Surrendered Firearms – No State Compensation
The Supreme Court of Appeal has confirmed that, where you voluntarily surrender a firearm to the Sta......read more